The Hib vaccine is a conjugate vaccine containing purified capsular polysaccharide of bacteria Haemophilus influenzae type b covalently bound to a carrier protein.
It prevents from Meningitis, Pneumonia, Epiglottitis and other serious infections caused by a bacteria Haemophilus influenzae type b.
Hib vaccine is mandatory for all the children younger than 5 years old in India. Hib vaccine can be given separately, or as a part of the combination vaccine, to reduce the number of pricks. Many brands are available for Hib combination vaccines. Dosage is advised according to the brand.
How Hib is given?
Hib is injected intramuscularly in the mid thigh region of the baby.
Recommended dosage and intervals in Routine Immunization:
- Minimum age of the baby should be 6 weeks
- 3 doses of Hib or Hib combination vaccine should be given at ages 6, 10 and 14 weeks with a booster dose at age 12 through 18 months
If a child misses the dose as per schedule, catch up can be done till 5 years of age :
- If the baby is less than 12 months; 2 doses at 4 weeks interval should be given with a booster dose at age 12-18 months
- For child of age 12-15 months; 1 primary dose should be followed by 1 booster dose after at least 4 weeks
- Above 15 months of age ; single dose of Hib should be given
There is no requirement to give vaccine to kids above 5 years of age.
People with special needs of vaccine:
- Patients who need to undergo spleen removal surgery
- Patients following bone marrow transplant
- People with sickle cell disease
- HIV +ve patients
People who should not be given the Hib vaccine:
- In case of severe allergy to a previous dose of Hib vaccine, the following dose should not be given
- Vaccination should be delayed if the patient is not feeling well
Redness and swelling at the site where the shot was given and mild fever can occur soon after the shot. Side effects do not last for more than 2-3 days. Serious problems are very rare.
Marketed Hib Products
Here is the list of WHO pre-qualified vaccine products available in market. Click on name of the product to know more.
EasySix vaccine₹2,392.80 Buy on netmeds
HEXAXIM₹3,900.00 Buy on netmeds
Quinvaxem₹870.00 Buy and save on netmeds
Easy fourRead more
Sii HibPRORead more
Pedvax HIBRead more
Pentavac PFSRead more
Tritanrix HB+HibRead more