Winter has just knocked the door. And also, the gloomy and hazy weather. The Air Quality Index is showing alarming levels (~900), categorized under “severe” levels. Schools are closed and kids are forced to stay indoors. But, is the air inside home safe? It feels so stuffy to sit at home, with all the windows shut. I truly wonder, whether I am safe from harmful smoke pollutants inside my home? Not really!! Sometimes, I feel a burning sensation in my eyes and throat similar to, when I am out in traffic. This scenario is a very common case in most of the Metro cities. Perhaps, it’s time to keep indoor pollution under control by air purifiers. Install an air purifier.
How do Air Purifiers make your home pollution free?
Air purifiers are machines that suck the pollutants (including fine Particulate Matter, PM2.5 particles) from air in indoor settings. Earlier, air purifiers were required only for people with allergies and Asthma. Now, it is fast becoming an essential need for a busy city household.
In an air purifier, the air passes through three layers of filters. First of all, its bigger particles are cleaned. Then the harmful gases, (like methane, carbon monoxide etc.) are adsorbed into a carbon primed middle filter. Lastly, the finer particulates (most harmful) are captured through High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters. This is how, you can keep indoor pollution under control by air purifiers.
8 things you must look for in an air purifier:
- It must have HEPA filter to take care of smallest particulate matter that can’t be seen and is the most harmful
- Air purifiers must have Pre-filter mechanism so that, the air is passed through them before it passes through an expensive HEPA filter. It will definitely increase its shelf life
- It should have an adsorbent material like activated charcoal to take care of smelly stuff, fumes and chemicals in the air
- Nobody likes additional noise in home or office. So, it must be quiet
- It may have featured UV light sterilization of pathogens. Ultraviolet light is directed only inside the air purifier and it kills dust mites and all germs including viruses which can’t be captured by HEPA filters. This feature helps in keeping the filters free of build up bacterial and fungal film. Such purifiers are easy to maintain but be cautious, while buying. Check that purple light is not leaking out, as it can cause eye damage. Unbreakable quartz bulb is the safest option for providing UV light, but it is very expensive. Cheap air purifiers brag about having UV feature but, they simply can’t have it. You may skip this feature if your budget is low as less benefit may come with added health hazard
- Do not buy Ozone generator purifiers. Manufacturers boasts of many health benefits of ozone but it is actually a harmful gas. It can cause irritation in throat and lungs, when inhaled
- Ionizers and most electrostatic precipitators produce ozone as a by-product. Verify the ozone output before buying. It should be low
- Don’t get tricked by cheap air purifiers, which boasts about high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). The number only suggests the purifier’s ability to remove pollutants like tobacco smoke, dust and pollen from specific amount of air. It has nothing to do with the effectiveness to filter very small particles, which are actually the most harmful. Also, higher number does not indicate the better durability of a purifier. CADR is often measured at highest setting of the purifier. These kinds are often impractical to keep at homes, due to high noise. Look for high CADR along with specifications like HEPA filters and pre filters (often the expensive ones). Only CADR will not serve any purpose
I hope you got all the information about must have features and specifications of air purifiers. Now, is the time to keep indoor pollution under control by air purifiers. Don’t think too much as this is a good investment for family’s health. Just select the one which suits your budget, is efficient as well as safe for long term use. Here, is the list of top 8 purifiers based on our research. You may buy online by clicking the link below.
2019 Best air purifiers in India. Our selection is based on both safety concerns and efficiency!!
Honeywell Air Touch HAC35M1101G Air Purifier
Note: IARC (International Agency for Research and Cancer) and WHO (World Health Organization) terms Particulate matter as carcinogens. The effect of breathing long in the air containing particulates can cause asthma, lung cancer, gene mutations, heart diseases, respiratory diseases, premature delivery, congenital defects in babies and premature deaths.